Add this page to your book
Remove this page from your book
- Updated: 30/03/2022
- Housing is very expensive in the big cities of France and rare.
- Ukrainian refugees are eligible for social housing but will enter the queue like any eligible person (some exceptions may apply).
- Ukrainian refugees are eligible for APL Housing Benefit. More details on the APL allowance.
- Do not pay for housing listings or application fees to find housing. These scams are popular in France.
- Don't be left homeless - If you need emergency accommodation, ask a Frenchman to call the free social emergency number 115 for you
- You may not be able to cook or have a fridge in some emergency or temporary accommodation
Official emergency Housing for ukranian refugees
- Official emergency housing has been put in place for ukranian refugees in and around large cities. It can be in sport centers, vacation centers, camping, hotels, refugee centers, etc.
- Each city and département is responsible for its housing options
Official free interim housing for ukranian refugees
- Interim housing is provided by the Prefecture or approved non-profit organizations from a list of approved hosts. These hosts will host you for free.
- In large cities, housing solutions may be offered in cities and villages very far from the city (sometimes more than 200 km).
- In smaller cities, you are more likely to be offered more local housing options.
Non-validated free housing for ukrainians refugees
Non-validated free housing is not recommended due to lack of security checks. You may also be exposed to scammers.
If you still wish to proceed at your own risks, you should perform research before accepting.
Websites listing offers (not verified)
Renting on the regular housing market
Be aware it is unlikely you will be able to rent on the regular housing market before having a permanent job position for several months.
Prices are extremely high in Paris and the Cote d'Azur area.
The average rent price in 2022 is :
To rent, the vast majority of property owners will require :
- a proof of identity
- a stable and permanent job contract with “bulletins de salaires” (pay slip) for the last three months
- a refundable deposit (1 month of rent)
- realtor agent fees (1 month of rent)
- a guarantor, to pay your rent if at some point you are unable to pay
- that the rent does not exceed one third of your monthly income.
- Some owners will prohibit animals.
- Water and electricity are rarely included in the rent price.
- Heating may or may not be included
- You are likely to be asked to pay in addidition to the basic rent price, a “charge locative” monthly fee for trash collection, maintenance, collective heating.
- Renting contracts usually are permanent contracts. Some renting contracts can be temporary for several months.
- The accommodation must be insured by rental insurance. The owner will ask for the certificate issued by the insurer.
Real Estate websites
"HLM" - Low Income Housing
- Many French citizens and foreigners are elligible to live in low income housing units known as “HLM”.
- HLM units are managed by “bailleur sociaux” which are specialized companies or by cities.
- Demand for social housing far exceeds the supply on the market.
- HLM housing is much easier to obtain in areas with less demand for housing.
- Demands for social housing have to be filed on the dedicated social housing website of the government .
- It is also recommended to talk to the person in charge of housing questions at the city hall in small cities and villages.
French government's official housing strategy for Ukrainian refugees
- The Ministry of the Interior indicated in its instruction of March 10 that a special process would be put in place in each Département including housing, temporary accommodation and accommodation with individuals, with social support provided by an organization chosen by the prefect (the head of Prefecture).
- The Prime Minister indicated on Tuesday March 22 that 91,000 proposals for collective or citizen accommodation are available and that the Government is preparing to welcome 100,000 people.
- A [[https://www.lacimade.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/INSTRUCTION-NOR-LOG12209326C.pdf | joint instruction of March 22, 2022 of the ministers of housing and the interior specified the modalities of the reception. The process is designed in three phases:
- Collective emergency accommodation near the main arrival points,
- Special accommodation centers in all large capacity structures. Transitional accommodation for the duration of an orientation towards housing/adapted citizen accommodation (up to several months)
- Access to housing made available free of charge or at a low price by local authorities, social landlords or citizens listed in a database. Priority to full and autonomous accommodation (at least 3 months). Accommodation provided by citizens in addition, with adapted support. An association approved by Département is responsible for supporting people, doing rental intermediation or relations with the hosts.